PERSONAL PIECES
& PURELY FICTIONAL SLICES

Kayla Marie Craig




“I remember the last time I saw my dad. The pain in his eyes, the whiskey on his breath, and the lack of hesitation in his stride as he walked right out of my life.”

“Why are we always overlooking the obvious? Do we always have to learn from our mistakes? Can’t we just drop the reins and run? Jumping when we reach the edge, depending on a leap of faith. Trusting our intuition, instinct, and soul the sense of wonder that fuels us. We have to be ourselves and not worry about what others think.”

“I refuse to become a number that you just add to your list of one night stands.”

“Music speaks to me the way you never could. Maybe you should actually try and listen.”

“Does the weight of your hand bring you pleasure? Does the pooling of my blood hiding under my bluing skin make you feel like a man? When I’m dead, what will you do then?”

“You may think ‘Oh my…’ but this is only one of the many scars you have left for me to hide……………Why do you insist on bringing me pain, on branding me with your hateful marks? One of these days I’ll have the strength to leave a mark on you, that you’ll never even dream of being able to hide.”

“Kiss me or kill me either way my memory will haunt you forever.”

“A lust to perform, a heart of music, and a passion for dance, you’ve defined me, now you have to choose, love me or leave me……….If you want me, you have to take all of me. Not just the pretty face, family money, and thick top. But my passion for life and love for the arts.”


“To be honest….. I’d buy almost anything right now, just to believe in something.”

“I want it back. I wish that my skin were tighter that underneath it was just bone no more unwanted padding. That my ribs were sharply defined below my breasts, and that the bones of my hips could peak out over my waistband.”

“My screaming warnings don’t help if you don’t bother listening.”

“I tried so hard to be what you wanted and look where if got me. You promised to make me one of ‘you’ if I did what you said. But you just laughed in my face and pushed me away.”

“You don’t know who I really am, I’m not sure I’ve completely figured it out either but I’m not about to let you decide.”

“Beauty unfolds on the wings of time and you watch your own face change before your eyes.”

“Let’s just go and get lost, you and me, alone where no one can find us. We can share our darkest secrets and then make some of our own. No one will ever have to know. We will stay out as late as ever, completely intertwined while our tangled bodies bathe in the autumn moonlight.”

“I would give you my heart but all I have is this cupcake. Please forgive me, Love.”

“I’m a woman in a room full of girl, yet only a girl in a world full of women.”

“Loving you is like trying to bake a cake without all of the ingredients. Still sweet but there’s not enough there to hold it all together.”

"Broken Glass and shattered dreams, what happened to it being you and me?"


Text and photo by Kayla Marie Craig