STEPHEN GODLIEB

  •                                                                                          CATALÀ
  • ENGLISH
  • ESPAÑOL
  • MENU

Inspired by people
from The Palette Pages








Stephen Michael is a young artist from Indonesia who has recently graduated from New Hampshire Institute of art. We were overwhelmed by his talent and are very excited to feature his work signed under the name Stephen Godlieb. Stephen mixes realism and abstraction to create bold and expressive art that is memmorable, displaying a rawness of emotion and freedom.  The deftly placed marks and the use of a wide colour palette give his canvases an energy that is spectacular to view. Influenced heavily by music; electronic dance music helps Stephen make decisions and emphasizes the abstraction through the brush mark.  Lyrical soul music helps him create an emotion and composition to the figure. Music and art is combined to unleash the creativity and passion from a true talent on the first steps of his artistic journey. We are intrigued by his work and can only imagine what he will become in a few years time. He is certainly an artist to watch out for. Thank you Stephen for sharing your work with us.

Self taught or art school?

I went to New Hampshire Institute of Art in Manchester, NH. I recently graduated from there a few months ago.

If you could own one work of art what would it be?

If I could own one work of art it would be Adele Bloch Bauer II by Gustav Klimt from the Gold Era.

How would you describe your style?

I would describe my art as figurative abstraction because I mostly paint figures or portraits with a lot of brush marking and texture. I would like the viewer to see my art like fireworks because I mix a lot of colors on my painting.

What are your favourite places to view art?

I usually go to any close museums or street galleries to see art. One of my favorite places to see art is Museum of Fine Arts Boston, MA.

Who are your favourite artists and why?

My recent favorite artist is Andrew Salgado because his works show a lot of freedom to his brush strokes and his palette is really representing the modernism in art. Mark Horst and Alex Kanevsky are also some of my favorite artists.

What or who inspires your art?

I got inspired by people around me, cultures, sometimes into current events around the world like war.

Where’s your studio and what’s it like?

I moved into new studio space in Dover, NH. I share it with another artist Brian Carter who has been using the studio since last november. It looks pretty good, Brian uses half of the space for his clothing store so it looks pretty urban.

Do you have any studio rituals?

My studio ritual is find a good music to put it together in one podcast because I always listen to music when I paint and fresh beats music always keeps me in the zone while I paint.

Where can we buy your art?

I have a website where you can get my art www.sweetgraphik.weebly.com

 What are your ambitions?

My ambitions are to travel around the world with my art. Either by doing shows, painting people, or working on some art project.



Stephen Godlieb | A selection of works here


An interview by Lisa Gray
Originally published in The Palette Pages
The Palette Pages website www.thepalettepages.com
© 2014 Lisa Gray

NAU NUA | ART MAGAZINE edition by Juan Carlos Romero
Interview and photograph courtesy of Lisa Gray
Stephen Godlieb website www.sweetgraphik.weebly.com
All rights reserved