LARA BROWN

Eternal flowers









Lara Brown is a songwriter and singer from Québec who presents her second album but the first one under her actual artistic name, Lara Brown (2012). She defines the sound of the album as retro and modern and it includes her own songs and one by Serge Gainsbourg, one of her biggest influences. After having used the names Lara and Lara Hurni (actually her real name is Lara Hurni Brown), and releasing a previous album called Petits coeurs assassins (2009), she finally has chosen the name of her mother, Lara Brown, to present her second work with so personal and deep lyrics and full of very good tunes. Zanzibar is her latest single, a powerful mix between the old cabaret songs and the modern pop tunes that surrounds a dark story of someone who lives in shadows. No one seems to know her real name, sings Lara Brown, but we have all the elegance embodied in her songs, in tunes and arrangements. She brings us back all the beauty of the old songs but reborn through her modern sensitivity and deep and serious lyrics. Her heart doesn’t kill, her heart makes us believe in music.

You studied dance, acting and music. Why did you finally decide to become a songwriter?

For me, a singer-songwriter enjoys more freedom. In acting and dancing, you learn a part and then act your part in front of a public, but I believe when I'm on stage singing, I can do whatever I feel like doing. I can dance, act, I can go wilder some nights or cooler on others... I'm my own minute choreographer.

Born Lara Hurni-Brown, your debut album was published under the name Lara and titled Kabaret Montréal (2006) and it really has a cabaret atmosphere. What attracts you from the cabaret style?

After studying theater, I wanted to explore singing while acting big. Maybe I needed to affirm my new vocation strongly, maybe that's all I could do then...  I have to say I listened to a lot of music in the cabaret style : Kurt Weill, Edith Piaf, Anna Prucnal, etc.

What’s so sacred on spring? (Le sacré du printemps)

For people living in Quebec, spring really is sacred ! After enduring a never-ending winter (almost 5 months) with very low temperatures such as minus 25 degrees, spring is THE thing you're longing for. Every spring, people seem to go wild, you can feel it in the air. It's a welcome shock when you swop your winter coat, boots, hat and gloves for your mini skirt or shorts. Guys go dumb, just grin, do mad things as girls go wild... everybody goes crazy ! It's the spring fever.

With new influences from folk rock and jazz, in 2009 and under the artistic name Lara Hurni, you released a mini-album called Petit Coeur assassin. Were you talking about your own heart?

Not only my heart... I think everyone has an potential assassin living inside.  Well, mostly they don't reach the assassin stage but so often people end up either hurting someone else or hurting themselves all in the name of friendship or love, sometimes through distress, or for revenge, or due to psychological problems, and in extreme cases suicide or murder.

Lara Hurni-Brown, Lara, Lara Hurni and now Lara Brown, presenting your brand new and album. It is simply called Lara Brown and it’s been released in 2012. Why have you changed your artistic name so many times?

I was singing under LARA for my first album and I now sing under Lara Brown (my mother's name). Lara Hurni is my real everyday name (that's the one who pays the bills). After several years, I found out that LARA was confusing... some journalists came to my shows looking for Lara Fabian. “Sorry dear, I'm not her and she's not me. You should have read the press kit!”. On the web, LARA tended to get lost among all the Lara Croft, Catherine Lara, Lara Fabian and co. When I realised I wanted a new stage name, Brown popped up in my head like an obvious solution – short and sweet and a bit jazzy. Leslie Brown, my New Zealand grandfather loved music, sang and played several instruments. Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to get to know him... but I'd like to carry the name on in the music world.

The opening is a really powerful pop song. “Elle les connaît à fond mais personne connaît son vrai nom” (She knew them deeply but nobody knew her true name). Do you need to create a distance between you and your artistic role?

This song is about a waitress who is fed up with her job. As I also work part time as a waitress to pay my rent, I know what it feels like to be “the girl of the night” in some drunk guy's head. I think many waitresses would recognize themselves in the lyrics.

But to answer your question, not really, I know some artists need that distance. I think I am still myself on stage, only I'm the one in the spotlight and larger than life – it's like being 20 times bigger !!

Never say never again? (Jamais dire jamais)

Never!

What kind of flowers do you dream in the middle of the night?(Des fleurs au milieu de la nuit)

Flowers of fantasy, flowers of desire... Eternal flowers !!!

You’ve also recorded the Requiem pour un con (Requiem for a fool) written by Serge Gainsbourg. Dedicated to anyone in special?

To a lot of people unfortunately. A "con" is like a "jerk" – someone who messes things up for himself and for others – on a personal level or in a wider sense. Take a look at the world today, it’s not hard to recognize them, they are ruining nature, culture, justice and have a lack of respect for human lives.

Which is the influence of Serge Gainsbourg in your music?

The mix between French pop, classical music, jazz and modern sounds. I like his originality, his dark side and his way of pushing the limits. The lyrics of Gainsbourg are also inspiring, introspective, poetically crude and sexy.

About the song La pieuvre (the octopus) in which you talk about the manipulation in a love relationship. What do you think is the source of that kind of manipulation which we can see also in every state of society?

The source must be selfishness and the need to control others. For certain people – the manipulators of this world – love becomes a kind of power trip. And part of the gratification comes from controlling and manipulating all aspects of the relationship.  Hence the tentacles of the octopus!

Probably the word coeur (heart) is one of the more frequent in your lyrics. All you need is love?

Yes, those Liverpool lads and I do need love. Who doesn't ? I think love is the thing you really need to live a happy life. Love of friends, family, love love love... and true people know you can't buy love.

“Le temps fait des ravages sur les amours inavoués” (Time wreaks havoc on the unspoken loves). Why are we so unable to live our true feelings?

We're afraid of giving and afraid of losing... When you let go of these fears, you start feeling the real things.

Where are you?

In my bed, in the city of Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Planet earth, and you ?

I'm here, there and everywhere alone with my little heart.


LARA BROWN VIDEOS here 


An interview by Juan Carlos Romero
Lara Brown website www.lara-brown.com 
Photo courtesy of Lara Brown
All rights reserved