LINEMARIANNE

  •                                                                                          CATALÀ
  • ENGLISH
  • ESPAÑOL
  • MENU

Between dream and reality



LineMarianne
Photo courtesy of LineMarianne



Danish indiepop singer and songwriter LineMarianne has just released a double single featuring songs Everybody here wants a piece of you and Lack of time  following up on the atmospheric debut single Calling You in which she sings "We don´t need to wake up, we don´t need to fight. Every inch of us quiet as the night", a deeply honest appeal to fellowship, something we really need nowadays. That was the first song she wrote, a reaction to the suffer in the world and our selfish indifference to it. That shows the real spirit of LineMarianne, a delicate poetry to express her dreams and her social conscience. The new single represent a new step into that line between dream and realism: "There is a train going to the other side of town. Get lost in audio waves, turn up the beat, don't say you'll never. Alive is the mind, the party just started and you left too soon..." . Because, you know, Everybody here wants a piece of you... looking forward for more songs from LineMarianne.


Why did you decide to be a musician?

I love music - I always have. When I was a child music was one of my favorite playgrounds and an amazing hideaway. Not that I needed to hide, but I guess I needed music as an outlet for my feelings. I have always been a sensitive person, and every experience generates an urge to proces, an inner expectation of something. Music soon became that something along with writing my diary, and in that way both music and words became very important to me.

To begin with I was addicted to playing the piano - for example Chopin, Schubert, Bach and Beethoven. But very early in my childhood I started to sing in a band with my friends, and I discovered that I could express my inside world through my voice as well. At the age of 13 I began to write songs. It is a necessity, a personal drive and energy that has made me a musician.
How is your process of writing songs? What does inspire you?

My process of writing is kind of divided in to different stages. Stages that are always on the move, always overlapping each other and yet not really divided at all. In the first stage I take in inspiration - more or less consciously - music, people, books, news, art all sorts of experiences. This is also the stage where I start building up the courage to write. For me it takes courage to believe in my own ability to write, and it takes much of my energy when doing it. When that "door" has been opened, the writing stage can be really productive, and all of a sudden 4 songs can be written in one night. During this stage I listen to all sorts of music, read books, poems, watch movies, look at pictures and art which stimulates the movement that is taking place inside of me. The movement inside is part of my inside world where the music, pictures, lyrics, melodies are created. This is the most important place to be when writing and which I cannot do without, so I really nurse this part of me, with all kinds of great musicians, bands, poets, writers and artists especially my great love Jim Morrison.
What are your main influences?

The greatest inspiration to me is people and the way people live, act and express themselves. Not just people I know, but people who in someway makes me think, feel or react to what they say and do, but also personal issues inspires me. Politics, movements in society, environmental issues, how we react to one another, culture and society interests me. Yes well..people and the world we live in interests me and inspires me the most and are my main influences. My main musical influences are many. I am always attracted to artists who dare to show themselves through music, so the list is sooooooo long of both new and old artists.
The first single of your upcoming album has been released, "Calling you", a song that you describe as an appeal to the spirit of solidarity. How are you living the European reaction to the refugees?

I am as many other people deeply touched by the refugees fleeing to Europe. It makes me very sad to watch and to know so many people suffer because of war or other tragic situations in there home countries.

I think that Europe has a responsibility to find a solution to help out people in need. Basicly I think that Europe has a responsibility to bring humanitarian aid when people are in need of it. I think it is very sad when the European reaction is closing down boarders because of refugees, like we have done in Denmark. I witness a resistance to help because of fear and ignorance caused by some political parties using their rhetorical power to create gaps between people and communities. A creation of a we and a them instead of focusing on solidarity and the real problem - people in need. The we and them causes a uncertainty between communties and people which I find poisonous and in some aspects dangerous for communities, societies and for the world. I believe in globalisation, and that the rich countries must help the poor countries. Denmark is a rich country.
In some aspects, it seems we are making the same mistakes of the past. What are the main lacks of our society, in your opinion?

I think that one of the greatest mistakes of our society today is how the rethoric brutalization toward people from other cultures and communities is normalized. The normalization is happening through all kinds of media, our way of talking with or about each other, but the most crucial brutalization of our common way of speaking is that of the politicians. Their rethorical power is forming the opinions of communities and thereby will always be very crucial. Just think of that in a historical perspective. 

Musically, the song transmits also a nightly atmosphere. Are you more nocturnal?

I love the night and the nocturnal elements in music - I am definitely drawn towards it. For me the dark side of music contains secrets and magic that fascinates me. But I love the day. I love getting up in the morning, and I love to be a day person. I am a pretty happy and a laughing person. I don´t think I am more a night person than a day person, I just like to feel the night at day.
What could you explain us about your upcoming album?

I am releasing small ep´s and singles for the next year. My debut was the single 'Calling You' and now I am releasing a double single 'Everybody Here Wants a Piece of You' and 'Lack of Time'. After that two ep´s are ready to be released.

I have recently been recording the third ep, and all of the songs are in someway containing the same kind of nocturnal vibe which is to be heard in 'Calling You'.

On all the recordings I have been working with the same two musicians. Jens Hein on the bass and Silas Tinglef, drums and guitars. I myself sing and play some guitars and synths. Furthermore different musicians have contributed with additional instruments and parts. Flutes, cello, harp, saxophone etc.

The songs are both trying to express political statements in a subtle way and at the same time trying to be an expression of my inner world.





What do you think about the current music scene in Denmark but also internationally?

The music scene of today is both very big and very small. So much great new music and so many great, new artists and bands. But there are so much music available, which I myself is also a part of, that it sometimes can be hard to figure out what to actually listen to. And as an artist it can be hard to find your own ground. And also... we should be many more women in music. The musicscene is just much more interesting and more inviting if we join it equally. Again it all comes down to solidarity.. also in music:)
Could you explain me a dream you have had while sleeping or a memory from your childhood?

I had a dream just after I had been recording in the studio. In my dream I was supposed to carry a little bird, but I didn´t have anything safe to carry it in - not a cage or something like that. So I put it in my bag with some towels or some kind of cloth. But I forgot the bird, and when I opened the bag it was dead. I hadn´t been carefull enough on our way. Hadn´t taken good enough care of it. So I took it and held it between my hands. I tried to bring it back to life, but then the dream started all over.. and I can´t remember if I actually did bring it back to life.










An interview by Juan Carlos Romero

Photos and video courtesy of LineMarianne

For further information about LineMarianne
www.facebook.com/pg/linemariannes
www.instagram.com/linemariannemusic
linemarianne2015.wixsite.com/linemariann

Videocredits:

Created by Nikolaj Bundvig and LineMarianne 
Bass: Jens Hein
Drum box and guitars: Silas Tinglef
Vocals and acoustic guitar: LineMarianne 

All rights reserved