ANJA KOK


Bright irony



Selfportrait, Anja Kok © + courtesy Anja Kok


 
 
Simplicity or extremely acute irony, fantasy or satire of the social inertia that guide us like the current of an inevitable river? The questions that come to mind while observing the artistic work of Anja Kok are continuous, marked by the contrast between its simple and direct lines and a certain clairvoyance when it comes to seeing the precarious seams of our society that, however, our life everyday prevents us from seeing. Everything is changeable, nothing should be taken for granted, there are always other paths, perhaps just as absurd but more exciting. One of them is to discover the art of Anja Kok.
 
What does art mean to you?

Observing and processing experiences in paintings is my way to cope with the world. There is irony in my work and I see many events in life from a certain distance. Sometimes life seems like a play whose lyrics are already established. Sometimes you break out your comfort zone and the adventure goes in a direction that is beyond comprehension. Art is how I fit into my environment.

How did you become a painter?

When I was a kid, I was always making things. I designed all kinds of objects. Made sketches but never actually painted. At art school I used to make sculptures but that took up a lot of space. Then I started painting on walls, this was also not practical. Eventually I started drawing and painting. In a painting you can create space and depth. In a painting you can express everything through form, color and perspective. A harsh world but also a dream world. Everyone sees something different. It’s all about illusions.

What artists are your creative references?

Painters I'm impressed with Grayson Perry, Matthias Weischer, Charley Toorop, Luc Tuymans, Edward Hopper, Kees van Dongen and Frida Kahlo. I listen to music while painting, especially Nick Cave, Frank Zappa, Prince, Miles Davis but also Billie Eilish and Agnes Obel.

But a certain dialogue in a film can also be a reason for a painting.

Could you explain us something about your creative process?

I see my painting as some kind of diary. Take photos of people, houses and nature through time. Suddenly there is a need to do something with certain images. Project them, combine images, make a sketch and then paint. While painting I react to color, shape and feelings. I like controlled looseness.

Your use of color is very intense, the spaces are homogeneous and well defined. What is behind this artistic choice?

The use of bright colors can be provocative. I like bright colors. One color evokes the other while painting. I also like bright shapes. It gives weird perspective distortions. A painting is just not complete balanced like life. There are always questions. I like to play with aesthetic rules.

How much is surreal and how much is realistic in your artistic work?

A lot of work is about the relationship mother and daughter. Mirroring the image of yourself in the other. The clarity with which the other person shows you reality. Still, not everything is true. There is imagination, images and fantasy with which I react again to my own images. The paintings are a guide in my life, composed of thoughts and memories with often humorous titles that cause ways of thinking and perception to become out of sync. Between dream and reality.

There is a certain sense of social satire in your work. Am I right?

Absolutely!

I keep marveling at human behavior. Think of life as a great play. It's like a playground in witch I paint.
 
Self-portrait 2021
Oil on canvas
24 x 30 cm
© + courtesy Anja Kok


How do you think art is nowadays socially valued?

With all the images that anyone can copy in all kinds of ways, the need for art disappears for many people. After all, they cab put something nice on the wall. It is often underestimated that an artist gets stuck into a subject and tries to develop his issues and identity with knowledge of the past. It's a personal account of life in a certain time. The personal becomes universal.

What are your next projects?

Exhibition in the Doelenzaal, Vijverberg 2, The Hague from 24 November to 5 December 2021.

I'm working on a small assignment of 9 paintings with events from someone's life. Furthermore, I work continuously on the diary paintings


Could you explain us a dream you had while sleeping?

My dreams are limitless. The ones I remember are in the morning between waking up and sleeping. I can adapt them to be nice. I talk to all kinds of people, jump off rooftops without anything happening. Swim, dance and laugh. I remember short conversations, often full of humor but it makes no sense. The interaction between making life happen and control of life disappearing. Life is like painting. 
 
 
An interview by Juan Carlos Romero
Photo © + courtesy Anja Kok
For further information about the artist please visit www.anjakok.nl 
All rights reserved