GUGABRIEL

  •                                                                                                          DEUTSCH
  • ENGLISH
  • MENU

A little bit of love


Album Mind cover
Photo by © Sasa Felsbach



Gudrun Gabriele Liemberger, known as GuGabriel, is an Austrian singer, musician, songwriter and actress. She was born in Freistadt and grew up in Weitra, Waldviertel, in a family in which music was always present playing with her two sisters. She received lessons in singing, guitar, violin, piano and flute. After several years working in the maternal business and some stays in England and the United States, with 22 years she moved to Vienna to complete her musical education at the University of Music and Performing Arts, followed by an international theater workshop in Berlin / Wannseeforum, as well as film and theater studies in Vienna. She has participated in several films always combining it with her music passion working in several bands like Galahad and The Shepherds, but it was with the band SheSays, the band she formed along with drummer Cathi Priemer to which bassist Valentin Rosegger joined weeks later and with which she reached a professional level. In 2006 they won the Soundcheck Spezial contest with which they gained popularity in their country. That same year they released their self-titled debut album that reached number one on the Austrian charts, of which Rosengardens was the promotional single that reached number two. In 2007 they released their second album, Want it, and although it was not so successful it did lead them to be the opening act of Bryan Adams tour in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands. In 2011 GuGabriel made the solo jump with the album Animal and in 2012 her greatest hit, the single Salvation, of which she has recently released a new version.


What does music mean to you?

I love music and I love making music. It is a big big part of me and I can not imagine not doing it.

When and why did you choose music?

As a child I already learned some instruments like guitar, piano, violin ... at the age of 22 I started to realize my dream professionally by going to Vienna and receiving a musical education at the university. In one or the other band I was already there ...

How is your composition process? Do you always compose alone?

Mainly alone, but I have already composed with someonel else in bands, which also worked well. Most of the songs are created in very emotional phases of life. Then melodies and lyrics fly to me ... I compose on the piano or with the guitar and I have to record that spontaneously, otherwise the ideas will be gone again ...

Your last single is called "A Little Bit Of Love". What can you tell us about it?

This is one of my favorite songs. I did not feel so well at the time, but I suddenly felt that if I chose a more conscious life with a focus on love, health, and all those positive things, I would be protected and supported by one higher level. And then came the picture with the angel that helps me to leave all the negative and destructive behind me ... in the end we are all love. I feel it totally.

How important is love in your life?

Haha, I had not read the question before ... It's the most important thing and I try to live that wherever I go.







One of your songs I like the most is called "Sick of fighting". Do you consider yourself a fighter?

I've had to fight a lot in life, because I'm always very torn in myself and strive for unity. I often have to assert myself, but meanwhile I have come to the conclusion that I can do that with calm and serenity. A learning process . Sometimes my job as an independent musician also helps me to fight through here and there ...in some way...because for me it is all like a mirror and also about consciousness and my way as an artist shows me a lot exactly where I stand - at least when I am at the studio or on stage - and tells me what works and what does not... But I try to see that more and more not as a fight but as a challenge. Then I feel a lot better with it. The "right" choice of words is also crucial ... because you can change a lot in yourself for the better. Liberating thoughts ... pictures, words ...

I met this song in a beautiful live version. How do you experience the concerts?

The song was originally recorded  in one piece at studio with my band "GuGabriel & The Nomads of the Universe", a band that I liked. So somehow it was originally also a live recording. Unfortunately there were problems with the management and we broke apart. Now I mainly play solo with guitar and piano, which I really like. It gives me the opportunity to communicate personally and directly with my audience. I am currently in the process of putting on a new show together with my fellow musician and producer of my new album (coming in fall 2018) Paul Zasky (from the band Dubbelstandart / Vienna) ...







You are also an actress. What do you find in acting that music does not give you?

They are totally different things for me. In music, I am the creator of my own musical worlds, I can reflect and tell my own personal stories through songwriting. In the play I see the challenge to be able to play even extreme characters. With all the psychological and physical aspects. I find it a very exciting way to be human, to live and to get to know as many facets as possible.

What are your future projects?

I have my new album "Mind" in the fall of 2018, co-produced with Paul Zasky. This is where my songwriting meets Paul's roots, coming from dub and reggae. Acoustic sounds merge with electronic elements to a harmonious new sound world.

At the moment I am working on a German Christmas album with my younger, very musical sister Sigrid and on an album only for piano and voice. I'm already done with the arrangements and shortly I'll start with the recordings.

Could you tell us a dream or a childhood memory?

I was four years old when I had a very severe meningitis. I almost died and I had to learn to speak well again afterwards and had some challenges nervously, which also made me a bit strange. This was very influential, because no special consideration was taken of me and I - despite many uncertainties and often lack of self-confidence - had to learn to stand for myself. My mother was a single parent with three daughters and there was not much time left ... I had to be independent pretty early, which sure helped me a lot later. Even then, music was a haven for me and a way of expressing myself. As natural as true love.











An interview by Juan Carlos Romero
Photos and videos courtesy of GuGabriel
www.gudrunliemberger.com
Album Mind cover by Sasa Felsbach
All rights reserved