ASH SIVILS

Darkness is life



© Ash Sivils


Ash Sivils leaves no doubt as for art’s capability to burn conformities. From the awareness that there is only light in the dark because things are only visible when they reject light, she shows that our relation with the world and life as an experience, is deeply far away from the truth, although is always relative. So we live in the absence of light and fled to demonize of all that is obscure. Ash Sivils goes to darkness with an art so cathartic, surreal, meat, lewd, offensive, juicy and bursting with creativity. Her pieces are questions that are proud to show their body and soul naked. Society, however, is the repression of the wind. Ash Sivils is a ceaseless imperfect world that recreates itself each time. A delight for the intellect, a stimulus for the body.

What does darkness mean to you?

Darkness to me means life. It's the voyage to the light, without experiencing darkness, I feel that people can't truely appreciate the light. Without bad there can be no good.

Normality is a fiction?

Yes, I believe normality is a fiction. It's the average that many of us seem to fear. Normality in life is the bar that other people have set for us without understanding that we are each very different (or to change what they understand but dislike) in my opinion.

Your artistic career began as a scenic artist in a more traditional artistic framework. Could you tell us about those early days?

I started my art career at the age of 16 - my mother is a very talented artist and worked for a delightful company here in the states. Her boss pulled me in as a temp when seeing whatI was able to create. From there, I learned many tricks of the trade. We worked on broadway show props, backdrops, and your basic scenery. I worked for GMP for roughly 3 years before leaving.
Working on such large scale pieces (roughly 16x24 ft canvases) I strained my body terribly,later developing a very serious case of Carporal Tunnel Disorder in both arms. Unfortunatly I am not able to paint like I used to. I only work on large paintings at home where I can take my time.

Later you found your artistic way through digital image becoming an amazing self taught artist. You use to take photos but that’s only the beginning of the process. Isn’t the captured light enough?


I'm not sure how to explain my process, it's a mixture between photography, digital painting and mixed media. My exhibition pieces are typically 3D images mounted on wood or a pressed image on wood boarding. Since I was not formally trained I don't have any of the restrictions or lables,  which is very nice! The captured light is never enough because I have to vent from what I feel rather than what I see.

Is your art also your pleasure or a need?

Art is more of a need for myself, although, I do take pleasure in my personal projects. Without art I would feel restricted emotionally. I'm only a decently balanced person when I am able to create, if not - Watch out, I'm a nut case - haha.

What’s your beauty concept?

Beauty concepts have been so skewed through-out history, and as a woman, I've done my share of suffering. I'm not sure how to explain my perception on beauty - For me, it's not a visual, it's a feeling that invokes emotion, that raw, untamed feeling that overwhelms me. It's the only truth that I honestly know.

“See no evil” in one piece from your “Dark art” series and we can see a girl without eyes. Is there no white light?

"See No Evil" was pertaining to being a bit lost. I honestly don't believe in "evil" or "good" although I do enjoy mocking the concept. What people call "evil" today seems a bit shallow, but that is only my opinion.

Is it possible to find pleasure in morbidity?

Oh yes, haha, everyone has a morbid side, whether they realize it or not. I think it's human instinct to be curious about the grotesque. Death and everything that surrounds it is a major sell point for authors and film directors. The only reason I produce many morbid images is because, that's what I feel and see. In order to live a somewhat "normal" life, as some may call it, I have to rid myself of all negative feelings and thoughts. I choose to use art as an outlet, it has seemed to balance me since I've found my way back. The desinzitization of the world has been a positive and negative - most are unable to release any morbidity that they may feel, it's not what one would consider "socially acceptable" - Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Surrealism is also deeply important in your art. All we need is dream?

Surrealism, oh how I do love the surreal! I dream very vividly when I am able to sleep. Surreal art is very pleasurable to produce, even when lined with macabre themes. Once again, I'm not sure how to explain it - I've never been one with words. Surrealism just makes sense to me, there isn't a wrong or a right, it's playing with the subconscious mind while conscious. I tend to zone out a lot when I'm working on a piece.

One from the “Surrealism” series is called “This is just a test” and it’s a man with a TV as a head. TV or not TV?

"This is Just A Test" refers to the television problem in America. I really don't watch much tv, I can't sit still long enough and I become bored, very easily! With all the dreadful commercials inbetween, trying to get me to purchase the next best item that mass corporations think appeals to me - Ugh, what a waste of time. The reality tv shows are the worse, why would I want to watch someone elses life and comsume myself with their problems, mean while, pissing my life away? I'ts something I will never fully undersatnd - you can't even trust the news stations any more. That in my eyes is more morbid than anything I could ever produce.

The “Conceptual” works include one called “Conformity” with some men dressed in a grey way with no eyes and one of them is a no head one. Is conformity our thumb?

The piece "Conformity" represents the subordinate ways the majority function, ecspecially our government. Preconceived guidelines, rules and boundaries just don't apply to all. When someone is different, they are usually seen as a nuisance - which I have dealt  a lot with through out my life. I would have liked to have been accepted amongst my peers, friends and family - I was just very different from them all, no matter how much I tried to relate. I do like to leave my work open for interpritation, it's always  so nice to have someone explain to me what they see and feel while viewing my art, what it means to them. That's a high compliment in my opinion - someone else can relate.

Do you burn?

Self portraits are not something I usually create, I like putting my mind into my art verses physical self, "I Burn" was an acception.
For me it was a way to cleanse myself from the negative feelings I wasn't able to before. It was a rebirth or renewal in sorts, my attempt to see myself as another and free myself from all the frustration, anger and hatred I usually don't feel.


Interview by Juan Carlos Romero
Art pieces by Ash Sivils