MARTINE LUND HOEL

An endless light




Composer, singer and hardangerfiddle performer, a typical Norwegian instrument, Martine Lund Hoel amazes with a crystalline and warm voice, the light that comes from the depths of her soul. Great sensitivity, born of a strong existential harmony, that takes her to compose an eternal music that bring us back to our natural origin, in contact with land, sea and air, with the vital impulse that is within every living being. Life as a endless story in the collective but fragile and ephemeral as individuals. The circle of life as a source of beauty. A beauty that lives in the music of Martine Lund Hoel.

Which ones are the spirits from Norway?

Actually I have also thought about naming my band “The Spirits From Norway”, so its funny you ask, however originally I refer to the unseen in the Norwegian nature, it can be quite a mysterious place this country in the north. Mythological creatures, Norse gods and the common spirit of the people, these are all factors that make my expression the way it is, and even when I get influenced by other parts of the world, it is still interpreted with a Norwegian heritage. So in many ways, “Spirits From Norway” is about being who I am in an international society, the sum of inspiration. So to answer your question, the spirits from Norway are the once making my art with me.

Your brand new album’s first track is called “Endless story”. What is it about?

Well, first of all its about what every listener makes out of it, and to be honest I normally don`t like to give away one certain meaning, “Endless Story” is, for me at least, about the circle of life and the awakening of the human soul. But it is also a song about cherishing each moment and taking the presence seriously.

“Mighty moon can you hear my voice?” is the open verse from “Mighty moon”. Do you think we’ve lost our link with nature?

Well, maybe, but who am I to tell, somehow it seems hard to loose our link since we are natural beings and need to deal with nature in some way every day. With that said I sometimes get the feeling that some people find them selves superior in the way they organise their living. Maybe “Mighty Moon” can be a reminder that we are small in the universe and that we belong to so much more than property on this earth. Throughout time people have always looked upon the sky, but these days it sometimes seems more important to look over to your neighbour. A human life in universal perspective is not a long time, so when all comes to all it is really strange that we are so much concerned about what we own instead of being concerned about who we are, or even what we are.

Your main instrument is the hardangerfiddle, an instrument from Norway, your country. Could you tell us about that special and beautiful instrument?

First of all it is our national instrument with, as so say, beautiful carvings and ornamentation, and of course a dragons head at the top. Additionally it also has four or five strings beneath the four you stroke for the purpose to resonate in different harmonies, this makes a rich sound combined with a straighter chair which makes it easier to stroke more strings at once, however, this can also make detailed playing more difficult. The instrument was first known world wide through Norways first and maybe still biggest superstar, Ole Bull.

Composer, hardangerfiddler and singer, three studio albums and a lot of collaborations with many artists. What’s your creative motor?

I have expressed myself through music my whole life, and it is as natural for me as talking, if not even more natural and it is hard to imagine a life without, so I guess life itself is my creative motor, but again, I am very much inspired by unsolved mysteries and energies operating in perhaps other dimensions.The creative process in the studio is very depending on who you bring along, sometimes the material takes its own course during the recording. So musically I also get very inspired by my producers and co-musicians.

One of your projects is Mani Luny, a duo with singer and guitarist Nils Jørgen Nygaard. On your website we can read your duo project is made “with respect for the past and hopes for the future!”. What do you mean?

It has meaning towards life itself and musically. The hardangerfiddle and its use has developed certain kinds of rules, if you like, through out the years, and I sometimes make people in Norway upset since I don`t always obey those rules, anyway I deeply respect my heritage even though I need to add layers of personality and creativity to my work, that`s just the way I express myself. That way we can have hopes for every future no matter what rules was made in the past, its not black and white. In life itself I think there are a lot of distorted knowledge passed on, so, here as well I think its important to be critical about established truth and find your own, but that does not mean you don`t respect your heritage. We need individuality combined with a culture since we are not robots just copying what went on before. Still, its necessary of course that we maintain the use of every instrument as well, since it tells a lot about who we were, its just that I don`t think its one way or the other. The same goes for my use of genre, since I never think about it when I compose, what must out comes out.



“Morning dew” is a beautiful tune in which your voice sounds fragile but full of hope. “Now I wonder, now I wonder...” What are your main worries in life?

That humanity wont do everything in its power to do good on this planet.

Where do you find beauty?

If you look long enough I bet there is beauty everywhere, but the first thing on my mind must be in the eyes of a my little son.

Do you have a spiritual sense of life?

After answering all the questions above I hardly need to answer that one, but yes, I believe we are more than biological and chemical beings. I believe in something bigger than human kind and planet earth and I believe we all have it in us.

Do you think music can help us to listen to ourselves?

Most certainly, music is a channel of inner expression and a travel beyond time and words, I really think people can become better beings through music and that we get in touch with emotions not that easy to reach. I think music can make us discover ourselves. Music is communication and movement of energy, a vibrating formula with the power to make a change in peoples lives.

Your previous album was called “Distant call”. Are all we becoming walking islands?

If “walking islands” means guardians of their own sphere, well, I must say that we see a lot these days, but there are at least as much good going on as bad, and in all material focus it kind of makes what`s really important even clearer for some of us, and I feel there is a change coming.

Where is your heaven?

In a wrecked cottage by a lake where I live, with my husband, son and cat.

I don’t know where my heaven is but I’m sure her music is a part of it.



Interview by Juan Carlos Romero
Photos by Ricardofoto