FIONA JOY HAWKINS

Sadness in beauty








Fiona Joy Hawkins, artist, pianist, composer and singer from Australia who tries to translate her personal visions through colours and sounds. Born in Tamworth, New South Wales, she was classically trained as a pianist being deeply influenced by the Ravel’s Bolero and the music of George Winston, Prokofiev and Mendelssohn. With the years, she has developed her music with an own print in the Celtic and New Age music with jazz influences. Her latest album is Sensual journeys including wonderful piano trips like Contemplation and Flight of the Snowbird, always along with her sensual voice. Her music is a landscape of sounds that gives us back to the female essence of existence, our true link with nature.

Your latest album is called Sensual Journeys. How would you describe the creative process of these Sensual Journeys?

I like to think of myself as a story –teller so I write conceptually derived music using a variety of subjects.  Thoughts, images, emotions, landscapes and sometimes even politically inspired messages…  In this case, it’s very much a mixture, but all aimed at celebrating the female essence of New Age music.

How important is sensuality in your personal journey? 

Sensuality is not something I specifically aim for, in fact I don’t have any commercial or directional imperative in mind other that subject matter.  Sometimes a subject dictates sensuality, for example Tango on Wednesday (the Tango is a very sensual dance) and is described as a vertical expression of a horizontal intention.  I’m wondering if sensuality can be described as a rhythmic thing, embodied in movement rather than key structure?  The more I think on this the more uncertain I am.  Perhaps an even better reason to adhere to the synchronicity of seeing something one way and translating it into a piece of music based on the story.  Too many variables in my head will only confuse those translations. So back to ‘sensuality’ – it’s possibly an accidental thing, a natural party of beauty and sadness……… and therefore a natural part of my music?

Your Flight of the snowbird reminds me all the ephemeral things in life. To where does it take you? 

I was sitting on a boat inside the Antarctic Circle, about as close to the South Pole as you can get.  As I looked out the window I saw an Albatross gliding next to the boat, he was just inches off the water.  He stayed alongside me for about 30 minutes effortlessly.  I just happened to be at the piano looking out the window. Writing that piece was easy, it just came to me as I watched the bird. Every time I hear it I can feel the ebb and flow of the ocean and slow and gentle roll of the boat.

The album opens with Contemplating. The piece starts with melancholic notes and goes on in crescendo including some vocals and percussion. What were you contemplating?
 
If I were to write my whole life as a single piece of music, this would be it.  That was my thinking as I wrote this track and that is the reason behind the dramatic rises and falls within the piece.  It is female and yet it is male.  It is has softness and yet drama, it questions and it answers.  It’s my all-time favourite piece to perform live and the one I am most likely to listen to on my home stereo. I thought it fitting to start the album, given my personal attachment to the track.

Then you give us your Joy through your piano and it seems your real joy is always the present, being there expressing yourself through your music. What does the artistic creation mean to you?
 
The creation of music is essential to me, I can’t not write music.  When it comes, it pours through me and I am a servant to it.  I love this entrapment.  The artistic nature is both my strength and my weakness. The biggest change with Joy, was the transition from writing sad to happy music. I remember asking my Producer Will Ackerman what would happen to me if ever I became happy.  Most of work has always been sad and in a minor key and I was concerned that the well of creativity may dry up.  So when I asked him if I would still be able to write music, his answer was “Yes, you will start to write Happy music’.  And I did.

Frozen Rose, is it a chant of hope or loneliness?
 
It’s based on a piece I wrote when I was 12 years old and it was played at my Grandma’s funeral (she raised me), I guess it has a lot of sadness in it, yet the rhythm is also uplifting.  Once again it goes back to finding beauty in sadness and sadness in beauty.

The minimalism of your compositions makes me think in delicacy. Is it a reflection of your personality?
 
Wow, never thought about that before…mmm? I would definitely use the word fragility, but not sure of delicacy – that implies a certain lady-likeness or sweet gentleness and sometimes I can be loud and laugh a lot.
I think the message I’m aiming at with this album is delicate. Sensual Journeys is dedicated to all Mothers and to my sister Felicity and her late Son Alex.  My son found her son drowned in the backyard pool.  It was the worst moment of all our lives.   I can only speak of my sister’s loss with music – this to me is a true expression of ‘delicate’.
 
Your paintings are more vigorous than your music, with vivid colours and vibrant brushstrokes. What do you get from painting?
  
I have often pondered the difference of my sad and contemplative music and bold colourful art and wondered if anyone would ever understand the connection.  To me it’s two different sides and yet connected, but others must certainly wonder.  I would say my music has typically been a more serious and deeper pursuit and my art has bought me light and humour and happiness.  Even saying this, I find music a meditation, but a far more sombre and serious one.  Painting bright colours is like a breath of fresh air.  I hope there are not psychologists reading this!

How would you paint a White view?
 
This piece has a distinctly oriental flavour and I tried to capture the feeling of a back lane in China-town.  I had just read Memoirs of a Geisha and for some reason it left a lasting impression on me that I wanted to express in my music.

If I talk you about a naked ship, what does it suggest you?
 
I think of two ships passing in the night and then I think of two naked people.  Now I’m really in trouble if a psychologist is reading this right?

Don’t worry, you aren’t.


FIONA JOY HAWKINS VIDEOS here


An interview by Juan Carlos Romero
Fiona Joy Hawkins website www.fionajoyhawkins.com.au 
All rights reserved