RAD HOURANI

  •                                                                                          CATALÀ
  • ENGLISH
  • ESPAÑOL
  • MENU

Limitless


Rad Hourani
© Rad Hourani





Rad Hourani is mainly an artist without boundaries. Photographer and fashion designer born in 1982 to a Jordanian-Canadian father and a Syrian mother, he moved to Montreal at the age of 16 where he completed high school. There he started his artistic career as an art director, moving to Paris at 23 working on photography and video and creating his first UNISEX collection. In 2007 he launched the brand being only 25 and in January 2013 he became an “invited member” of the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture in Paris. He presented then his first Paris Haute Couture show becoming the first ever designer to present a UNISEX Haute Couture collection in the history of fashion, and the first Canadian to be amongst the greatest creators.

One of his most recent projects is a collaboration with designer Pedro da Silva's VAVA that was presented during the Berlin Fashion Week along with an art exhibition by Rad Hourani entitled “EYE”. 

Why did you decide to make a career in fashion design?

I never thought of myself as being in “fashion”, I have always been interested in aesthetic in general, not necessarily fashion. My work is about a complete lifestyle in which I express a form of being that is free from any limitations.

Why do you think fashion design is not considered as an artistic discipline?

I consider it as a form of art as the way you dress is a form of expression. I’m not sure who decided that it is not… It never made sense to me who decide or consider what, I just use design as one of the disciplines that I feel comfortable to express myself in, as much as in art, photography and soon film...

How would you describe your style?

Timeless, genderless, raceless, ageless, nationless, limitless.

What are your biggest influences in your art and in your life?

What I observe everyday in my life, my brain is my biggest influence through what I see, feel and live.

Don’t you think we live in a society obsessed with image?

Images influence our life, society and the world we live in through what we are conditioned by. Our obsessions come from our desires to attend perfection through our illusions of what is perfect… Beauty is everywhere, yet perfection is nowhere...

How do you see the fashion scene right now?

Not interested…. trashy, fast and boring, everything I didn’t like in the 90’s, I’m not interested in recycling. And everyone is trying to do “unisex" in such a not unisex way, doesn’t make any sense to me.

Do you think Paris is still the centre of fashion?

Paris is a very inspiring city, but I think the whole world is the centre now because of the internet.

Do you feel more free when you work as a photographer than when you work as a designer?

It is a different process of work, but I feel more free when I create my art as it doesn’t need to be wearable. Art has no limitations when it comes to creating.

Could you explain us a memory from your childhood?

Innocence and being unconditioned were my biggest memory of being a child. I wish I can stay as pure as that all my life...



An interview by Juan Carlos Romero
Rad Hourani 
Photography courtesy of Rad Hourani
All rights reserved